While I am not opposed to using comments to promote products and services on the web, I have had a hard time of late trying to distinguish between an honest sharing of product-related information and heinous splogging. Thus, I have decided to produce a policy for the accepting of comments on this blog.
- No harassing, libelous, hate-based or otherwise abusive comments allowed.
- Comment links must lead to human-created, original content. Link farms blogs and/or microblogs are fine as long as the links are selected by humans (eg. though del.icio.us or twitter).
- Promotion of commercial products or services must 1) relate to the content of this blog (precisely, libraries, community development and professional development) 2) clearly display verifiable information about the company/proprietor on the website.
- All being said, while I intend to scrutinize comment links, I accept no responsibility for the product and/or services provided on external sites. Caveat Emptor, please.
- If you have any concerns about external links coming from my blog, please contact me so I can scrutinize further.
- (NEW) You can be anonymous in the comments – I won’t share your IP – but if you use a fake IP just to be nasty, Imma gonna delete your comment.
- Overall, my intention is to run a blog that is ethical in process, outcome and intent. You can expect this policy to change so to ensure that these values stay in place.